Tuesday, July 26, 2005


Historic dock defence wall found


July 22, 2005

The wall was thought to been have
completely demolished.

A major piece of Plymouth's heritage as a naval port has been discovered.
For more than 100 years, the exact whereabouts of a stone wall built to defend the city's dockyard against invasion foxed archaeologists.

But a 2m (6.6ft) stretch of the wall dating back to the 1860s has been found at Brickfields in Devonport where new sports facilities are being built.

The remains are from the last in a series of walls started in 1780 known as the Devonport Dock Lines wall.

Threat subsides
The wall has now been reburied after being recorded and photographed. ´

The series of walls were built as a major line of defence for the Royal Dockyard against possible French invasion.

Although the wall was known from maps of the period, it was thought to have been completely demolished when the threat of invasion subsided.

During development of the Brickfields site, some clues were found.

In 2005, the council's Historic Environment Officer Dr John Salvatore asked for the historic value of the site to be surveyed before the proposed development took place.

During excavations for the new sports hall and grandstand, Exeter Archaeology carried out site investigations, unearthing a section of the 2m (6.6ft) wide wall 20cm (9ins) below ground level.

Archaeologists were asked to make sure the foundations for the new sports hall did not disturb or damage the wall before it was covered over again.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?